Thursday, June 02, 2011

JUNE 2- June's Angel Thumbprint Cookies

Today, my sister Cara June Raymond (named after Grandma) uses coconut once again to whip up Gram's cookies - I'm starting to think June had a thing for coconut!


Recipe:
1 c. butter
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
4 eggs
1 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp almond flavoring
4 c. flour
slightly beaten egg whites

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks and beat well. Add milk, flour, flavorings, Chill 15 minutes.Divide dough into pieces the size of walnuts. Roll into a ball, dip into egg white and then roll in coconut. Dent in the center of each cookie after placing on a cookie sheet. Put 1 tsp. jelly in each center. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.


CHEF OF THE DAY: Cara Skoy Raymond and kids. (Can I just say my sister's fresh ingredients put me to shame! Look at that jug of fresh Jersey cow milk!)


As told by Cara Raymond:

If there is one thing I remember about Grandma June's cooking is that she paid attention to the details, she looked at cooking as an art, and at a gathering for a special occasion, every detail from the table settings to the temperature of the food was considered, and timed to perfection!

It always tasted soo good, even as a little girl I wanted to cook just like her when I grew up because she had a love of food, and the people she made it for where kings when they sat at her table.

In keeping with grandma's detail-oriented cooking, I made sure the ingredients I used were fresh, and of the finest quality.



The flour I used is from a local mill, that prides itself with the quality.

The butter-rich milk was freshly milked yesterday from my neighbor's jersey cow.

The butter in the recipe was home spun from the Jersey's cream. And the jam is homemade cherry I canned last year after I picked and pitted cherries with my kids.

My children liked the process it took to separate the yolks from the whites. They had fun rolling the dough and dipping it in the whites and then in the coconut


Then pressing a hole in the cookies for the jam.


Their favorite part was licking the beaters.



It was fun sharing Grandma June's recipe with the kids and talking about how much she loved cooking! But the best part was eating the cookies!

No comments: