Sunday, June 05, 2011

Day 5- Oatmeal Coconut Cookies (with Oregon Fireweed Honey)

My grandmother was a bit of a health nut. Her cookbook features several recipes using whole wheat flour and I recall my Dad's tales of all the crazy things she tried to feed him in the name of good health, including hiding egg shells in his food. In this vein, I thought I'd tweak granny's recipe just a bit to make it healthier. I added nuts, replaced 1 cup of sugar with fireweed honey and added dried fruit to these cookies. The combo worked wonderfully!



3/4 c. butter
2 cups brown sugar (I used 1 cup of br sugar and 1 cup of honey- if you use honey, add 1/4 more flour)
2 eggs, well-beaten
2 cups oatmeal
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup coconut
2 cups flour
1 tsp.
1 tsp. soda

(Optional: 1/2 cup of sliced almonds or other nuts... or add dried prunes, date or dried cherries!)

Cream butter and sugar; add eggs and beat well. Mix soda and baking powder into flour and add. Shape into balls and dip into sugar. Palce, sugar-side up, on a cookie sheet- press down with fork.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.

I love this recipe especially using 1 cup of honey to replace one of the cups of brown sugar and dried fruit. I love how these cookies fluff up in the over and get crispy and sugary on the edges. For softer cookies, cook them 12 minutes and for browner crispier cookies, cook for more like 14 min.


I used Oregon fireweed honey.


Coconut again... (My grandmother put coconut in about everything conceivable. It was probably her way of bringing something tropical to snowy Idaho!)


Italian prunes... from the PDX Farmer's Market!






No comments: