Wednesday, June 01, 2011

30 days of JUNE!
...or my family's way of inviting our Grandma La June into our kitchens, through cooking her dishes!

DAY ONE: LA JUNE'S TROPICAL WALDORF SALAD


This is recipe #1 in a series of recipes this month from my Grandmother La June's cookbook, Plain and Fancy Cooking.

Recipe:
1/2 cup of coconut
1/2 cup of nuts (I used toasted almond pieces)
1/3 cup mayo
1/2 cup whipped cream (whipped with a bit of almond extract (that was my addition) and a few pinches of sugar)
1 cup celery
1 red apple
1 yellow apple
2 banannas
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice (I would used fresh)

Cut up the apples and celery, add the nuts and coconut.

Mix the (fluffy) whipped cream, the mayo, the sugar and the lemon juice.
Add it to the salad. Add sliced bananas right before you serve it!

I love this cool combo- mayo and whipped cream:



The simplicity of two apples:



Yum! Delicious Waldorf Salad!

No comments: