Friday, March 28, 2008

KITCHEN IMPROV

I've been dreaming about this pie, I need to make it again.
The first time I made it simply with a layer of dark chocolate under homemade pudding mixed with banannas and curled chocolate on the top.



Cook the pie crust then crumble Amano's chocolate (or your fav. chocolate) on the bottom till it melts, then add this pudding with banannas. Top the whole thing with curled chocolate.

Filling
2/3 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
Pinch of salt
6 egg yolks
2 to 2 1/2 cups whole goats milk
One bar of your fav. bittersweet chocolate
1 teaspoon Mexican vanilla
A few sprinkles of nutmeg

Whisk first 4 ingredients in saucepan to blend. Whisk in egg yolks to thick paste. Gradually whisk in milk. Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and boils 1 minute. Cool 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.

The second time I made it, I made it as a double-bananna pie. I used chocolate chunks and crushed Graham crackers. I fried slices of banannas in butter then carmelized them in sugar. Then I made the pudding recipe.

After the pudding was finished, I threw the fresh banannas in and mixed, then threw in the fried bannanas, the chocolate chunks and some Graham crackers. I topped the whole thing with more crushed Graham crackers. It was delicious. But I have to say, I think I like my first recipe best, for its simplicty.

No comments: