Thursday, March 20, 2008

SLOW FOOD NITE: TENDER LOVIN' PIES



Here's my friend Toni getting ready to cut pie crust! Watch out!

Toni and I recently got together to make pies out of local products..... Drake Family farm goat chevre and local squash (Check out other pies I've made with local products: Amano's chocolate and Santaquin apples in prior posts.)

We made crust, cooked up filling, labored over the goat cheesecake, rolled, sifted, cut dough, pinched the pie edges, cooked and ate little bites till we were sick and up to our elbows in flour. Four hours later, we were pooped out and had made only 6 pies.

Three Secrets to Great Pie Crust by the Menan Relief Society Farm Wives and Company


Cara "June-bug" Raymond

This is my sister Cara standing in her backyard by a plowed-up field of barley. She is pregnant and looking very satisfied with herself. She's a pro at both children and pie-making (and she's good at hunting elk too) But since I don't have children, I often consult her about pies. I asked her to offer some tips for crust making. My sister lives in a community of women known for their pie baking prowess (Menan, Idaho), one of them is her mother-in-law, La Dee Raymond, who has won many pie contests. I especially love her lemon meringue pie. Through these women she has learned the art of pie making.

WHAT'S HER SECRET?

1. Use lard! I know it's not the best for your waistline or for your pig-protecting affiliations, but most people swear by even a small portion of lard to make the crust flakey



2. Minimize the flour! My sis claims the Idaho pie baking regional winner rolled her dough on the plastic bag inside a box of Western Family cornflakes. This plastic creates special pie-dough rolling magic. Wax paper doesn't work worth beans.

3. Don't overmix! The secret to good pie crust is not handling it too much! Pour the water into the flour into pockets of the mixure, mix each section- instead of pouring all the water over everything and mixing it all together.





This was my favorite pie: Mark Anthony Apple Pie (in honor of Mark's birthday.)

BEFORE BAKING:



AFTER BAKING:


It's one I created and it turned out wonderful.. it makes me hungry just thinking about it!

RECIPE:

(all rough estimates)
3 tablespoons of minced crystallized ginger
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/4 cube butter (or lil more)
2 tablespoons of flour

Red rome apples cut up.... crumble the mixture onto the top. Add a shell, vent and cook for 450 for 15 minutes then 350 for roughly 30 more (or longer, till golden brown.)

No comments: